Photography Skills Training Courses Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire
** Please see our main Workshops page for our range of training options and subjects **
There’s no doubt that photography can be one of the most rewarding and enjoyable hobbies. It can also be immensely frustrating and it’s thought that around 80% of camera buyers will soon give up. Dedicated expert training can make a huge difference. Even small bite sized chunks of training can be enough to send you to the next level, with your confidence and enthusiasm intact. If you’ve had the chance to look around the Personal section of this site you’ll see that I don’t just engage in portrait and wildlife photography. In fact I find all subjects quite fascinating, be it a trip to a local attraction or a simple walk along the beach. Chances are you feel the same way, and you’d like to enjoy capturing special memories of the places you visit.
Our photography essential skills courses are for:
- our camera craft and photography essentials one to one (add a friend and benefit from preferential pricing) training is perfectly suited to hobbyists and intermediate to advanced amateur photographers. Our training is tailored to your individual needs
- if you know a keen photographer eager to get started with their new hobby, or keen to improve on their current level, then our photography training can be a fantastic present
Depending on your individual needs, you’ll learn:
- how to get the right exposure every time
- the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- the importance of colour balance
- the differences between RAW and JPEG
- why the right lenses are important
- why you don’t need a fancy camera to take great pictures
- how to compose well-balanced photographs and the relationship between your primary subject and the rest of the scene
- why understanding the direction and quality of light is vital
- how to tell a story using photographs
You’ll need the following:
- an interchangeable lens camera (such as a digital DSLR or mirrorless system) and either a wide to tele zoom lens, or equivalent prime lenses. Alternatively a bridge camera/fixed lens camera with a zoom lens, which offers full control of aperture, shutter, and ISO
- your camera’s instruction manual for reference
- stout footwear and waterproof clothing
- some cash for parking, ticket entry to any venues, lunch/refreshments (some of our group workshops include the price of entry and refreshments, but please check)
- we recommend your equipment is insured
Book your photography training:
To arrange your training please telephone us for an informal chat about your needs on 01903-741691. If we’re out please leave a message and we’ll get back to you (please allow 48 hours). We’re based just outside of Storrington in West Sussex.
FULL DAY ONE TO ONE
Tailored entirely to your needs and your pace, we’ll start by discussing your photography in detail. You’ll learn how technically and creatively sound photographs are created. In time for lunch we’ll head out to a suitable location to put the tips you’ve received into practice. Our full days are approximately 6.5 hours and currently cost £345. To round things off why not invest in our post-production training as well, if this is booked at the same time please ask us about preferential pricing.
HALF DAY ONE TO ONE
This can be classroom-based at our home office in Storrington, or better still field-based where we’ll meet at a suitable location for approximately 3.5 hours of tailored tuition. Current price £185. Please note that depending on the chosen venue or location travel costs may be incurred – we’ll let you know before you book.
If you’re frustrated by your progress and want to know where you’re going wrong, or how to improve the finer details, then having your photographs reviewed by a qualified professional photographer can be just the thing. If you’re distant this can be carried out via e-mail and telephone. If you’re local you may prefer to visit us at our home office in Storrington where we can carry out the review face-to-face. You’ll need to provide 20 of your best images in JPEG format, at 2000 pixels longest side. Price: £85
“I found the training workshop absolutely excellent and I came away with so many ideas, and new knowledge. You had certainly listened to what I had said that I wanted to cover and responded accordingly. And although you obviously have a huge depth of knowledge you were able to explain what I needed (at the beginner stage) in an engaging and understandable way. It was an excellent day, thanks.” John, Norfolk